Saturday, February 28, 2009

BLOOD

Yesterday I got back to my routine of donating a pint of blood to the Red Cross. I have been doing this for awhile, was surprised when I got my 'gallon' pin........but then we disconnected our landline and our local branch didn't have my cell phone number, and no one has called to remind me, so it's been over a year....and I've missed it.
I've been feeling sorry for myself lately, so I put "Donate blood" on my To-Do List last week-----yesterday the urge overcame me----"just go over to the donation center and sit and wait, forget about calling ahead and making an appointment....but give your blood today." My blood type is AB positive----a few years ago I noticed that my 'bag' of blood consisted of several small bags..and found out that it was because my blood was used for babies......I was thrilled. As a once-upon-a-time nursing mom, then in her 50s, it had amazed me that my body was still producing a substance that babies could use...no, that babies NEEDED in order to thrive.....WOW, it was thrilling to think that I could still physically nurture babies in some way.
So I drove over to the Red Cross Donation Center and walked right in; there were no people waiting in line. After finding out that my iron was really good, and that my blood pressure was really, really good, they laid me down and poked my arm.....and I noticed that my 'blood bag' consisted of the normal single bag, just like everyone else's......so I asked about the babies and was told that now only the Detroit donation center fills the baby bags for the babies......."because the blood lab is in Ohio and it's a lot closer for the Detroit blood to be driven there"......blah blah blah....

Admittedly, I was initially disappointed, even thought about going to Detroit and giving them my blood.....But I didn't-----I laid down on the comfy table, feeling totally relaxed, relinquished my body to the blood-draw......jotted down the date that I would be eligible for my next donation.....(what is it, 54 days from now?)

And then today, it suddenly occurred to me that maybe someone's life was saved with my blood today----someone, somewhere, someone in need (who cares who it is or how old they are)......someone needed my blood----my blood, made by my body----no sacrifice to me really besides taking the time to drive over there, go through the proper procedures, accept the pokings, believe that I won't get nauseated when I raise my head......someone out there in the world has my blood coursing through their veins, someone who was in some sort of medical emergency or health-threatening circumstance, this person benefitted by my little pint of AB positive blood.........this is a miraculous thing.

I will be back April 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment